Talking to my kids about COVID, living this dream, unfinished manga, DOL 39, and CAT, which is short for confrontation avoidance threshold.
- My kids are constantly asking me about COVID-19 and when it’ll pass so I can take them to playgrounds and arcades again. This is a mind numbing conversation for me. A year ago, a global pandemic would have been the last thing from my mind. Now, my twin five year olds are asking me about it on a daily basis. Everything before this apocalypse feels so dreamlike and hopeful, I’m almost bitter that it isn’t around anymore. Time has this weird warped aura to it, like it accelerates while at the same time barely passing. What a world we live in.
- I’m tremendously blessed to be writing and living this dream, even if it isn’t to the point of me being able to financially live off it to the way I want. I couldn’t be more thankful to my family, friends, and the universe itself for supporting this meager and sometimes maddening undertaking. I don’t think I say that enough with everything in my life. I couldn’t be more grateful for it.
- I recently bought all ten issues of the manga Ragnarok. I bought them all because I thought it was the complete series, but instead the writer and artist never finished it, so the tenth is the last one. What the hell? I sure they had their reasons, but I want to read more. It makes me think of my own series The Greenland Diaries and Beware the Ills and even DOL 39. I need to finish these stories. I feel completely ripped-off by this whole thing.
- Speaking of DOL 39, I’ve decided to release that little gem in paperback form for the fall. I was going to try and plod through a sequel and whatnot for the Greenland Diaries, but it won’t happen for one more year when hopefully conventions are going again and I can sell copies of them to cover the cost of publication. DOL 39 is a fantastic world and story, which will benefit from a hard revision along with added content. The DOL is a fantastic monster, capable of capturing the imagination.
- Well, on my Facebook account I’ve hit the limit of having people posting crazy things and not being able to be silent anymore. I call it my confrontation avoidance threshold. I’ve had a really high level CAT (confrontation avoidance threshold) for a most of my life. I was raised in a standard passive aggressive Midwestern household. However, since it is the apocalypse, I’ve noticed my patience for simply agreeing with people in the effort to avoid an argument has been waning. That being said, I’m not looking to argue with people, but when friends and family share something on Facebook that rubs me the wrong way. Strangely, I actually talk about my opinion. Feels alien.
- Picked up the new Paper Mario game for Switch. Why? My backlog is endless…
- Xenoblade Chronicles is turning out to be a hell of a game. Glad I got it.
- Despite my rant about the manga series Ragnarok above, you should still check it out. Great story. Intense characters. If you’re a fan of Norse Mythology, you’ll love it.
- Picard is pretty fantastic. Didn’t think I’d like it as much as I do.
- Pretty soon my oldest stepson will be able to drive. Wow.
- Watching Community for the millionth time on Netflix. Still my favorite show ever.
- Have a safe and healthy week everyone!