Three weeks in a row doing musings? I must be crazy, or productive, or a little bit of both. You’d be surprised how often those two tend to coincide.
- My book event at North Hennepin Community College went amazing. That school and institution still has a special place in my heart. Going back there to talk to current students, ask about their lives, and hopefully relate to them is pretty much amazing. It keeps you tuned into how important it is to give back to the communities that helped mold you. I was in a very dark spot when I first started going there. If it weren’t for that school, I might not be here.
- The holidays are in full swing. I will officially start decorating my house after Thanksgiving. I’m not a religious person at all, but I do enjoy letting my kids experience these traditions. We’re making some changes to our celebrations right now with my extended family. Lot of toxic people in that group. Before, and maybe it was like this for other people, you were expected to deal with volatile and abusive family members because you only saw them once or twice a year. Life is short however, and to hell with being miserable during the holidays.
- Pretty quiet on events till February. I will be at 13 Gears, sharing a spot with a bunch of other authors. December and January are a bit of a black hole for events for me. It is like this every year. I wish there were some holiday con or something for authors and artists to peddle their wares, but nope. Minnesota is such a great state for events, I can’t really complain about it too much. There are many places were no cons happen at all. That fills me with sadness.
- I will be having a Black Friday Sale this year. It will be released on Black Friday around 11 am. It will essentially be like a loot crate for my readers, only I’ll call it a “Loot Envelope” and it’ll be built around the same premise. You pay a flat price and you get a bunch of items. The price and everything else will be revealed on Black Friday. It is a really good deal, and I’m offering some merchandise that’ll only be available in the Loot Envelope. Stay tuned for more details.
- This week on Craft Corner I really wanted to talk about not having the answers, especially when it comes to public speaking. I just did an event this previous week at my old college. I do get nervous about talking in front of large groups, but after doing it for the last six years; I feel a certain level of comfort. I love to answer questions at the end of a presentation. I try to be as honest as possible when responding. I’m asked things about self-publishing vs. traditional, writer’s block, and how I outline each story. I try to tell them what really happens, and I think this directness is relatable. I don’t know the solution to any of their questions. I think me expressing my misery over these conundrums is oddly comforting though. They’re not alone in their suffering. We’re all in this together.
- My short story collection I Sing Constellations is FREE today on Kindle. Click HERE to get it.
- I did not like how House of Cards ended. That is all I’m going to say.
- If you want to see something truly amazing on a nature show, watch the River Monsters episode where he swims with a pair of Oar Fish. It was amazing. YouTube it.
- I’m working a seasonal job this year in retail. It is brutal. It takes a ton of people to keep the shelves stocked at Target. Wow.
- Outlaw King was pretty good on Netflix. It was filthy, violent, and disturbing, but it was accurate to the time period.
- Everyone have an amazing Thanksgiving!