The holiday season is quietly staring at us like some sort of troll tucked behind a boulder. It wants us to know it’s here.
- Tough times in my household recently. My wife has been sick with a kidney disease for a while. It was just officially diagnosed last week. Now that we know what it is and how to treat it, things should be getting better. It is just stressful with the holidays coming up. We have four kids and life is always hectic. The illness just makes things a little extra tricky since she needs to stay off her feet. In fact, I completely forgot I had a meeting this weekend with some fellow writers about a convention and never showed up. Stress really messes with you.
- I decided to take a seasonal job this year at Target. Before I was like I MUST LIVE OFF MY WRITING. However, holidays are very tough for me financially, and I decided this would probably make things easier for my family. I will be in the murk of retail and whatnot, but it is nothing new. Back in 2014 I ended up working seasonal at Macys in Downtown Minneapolis before it shut down. That was crazy. I think some of those Christmas songs permanently burned into my brain.
- Last week I released my first bit of short fiction from the universe of the Greenland Diaries in months. It is called “Light.” It was a story that plays with a setting from my newest novel in the series. I had missed doing these. I’ll be doing more as the series progresses; including a serialized story taking place in Key Largo (I need a break from the Minnesota setting). To read my newest bit short fiction click HERE.
- I’m in the midst of writing a script for a full length film. This is a moment I’ve been waiting for my entire life, but wow is it intimidating. I’m trying to piece it all together since I’ve only written a short film before, but never anything this long. I keep thinking about my original experience shooting a movie, and how our production limitations limited the plot. This is a recurring theme. I’m almost thankful for that because it narrows the scope of my story. I have to iron out the small details because we don’t have the ability to make the big ones.
- This week on Craft Corner I’ve got nothing. I used up all my crafty stuff on number four. What should I talk about now? I guess I could talk about the weather, which is a famous pastime here in Minnesota. Winter literally happened overnight last week, like some frost giant just casually hit a switch with their massive finger. You go to bed and its fall, but you wake up and it is a winter wasteland. Adding even more weight to the snow is the fact that it’ll be like this for six whole months. I feel like I live in one of those time-lapse films sometimes.
- You can download DOL 39 for free today on Kindle. Click HERE to check it out.
- Finished Castlevania on Netflix. It was fantastic. I loved it. Looking forward to season three. I appreciate how human the characters are despite their outright fictional abilities.
- Finished the last season of House of Cards. I’m not sure what else they could do with that series. Every blackmail, twist, betrayal, and backstabbing has taken place on it.
- I’ll be doing a reading event North Hennepin Community College this next week. More details to come.
- Have a safe and healthy week!