I was actively trying to ignore current affairs, politics, the universe, whatever, but I think one of the problems that will haunt me from the past election is that I have been too vague about how political policy personally effects me, and therefore shapes my own beliefs. I don’t want to turn my beloved basement into a political sideshow. I still want to write helpful nonfiction stories, escapist flash fiction, and continue to walk the line between monsters and reality. I will however simply be more honest about what is happening in the world around me. I’m not doing this to isolate people or my audience, but pretending that the people in charge don’t effect me on a personal level through their own politics is a fallacy. I don’t mean to offend anyone specifically. Obviously, I want you to read my writing and buy my books, but I’m no good to a single person if I’m not honest.
- Our health insurance is Obama Care. We get food assistance. I’m not getting a standard biweekly paycheck like I used to. I’ve worked my entire life, but since I’ve tried starting my own business through this blog and my books, I’ve used the health and human services available to me through the state of Minnesota to help ease the transition. I do feel guilty about using welfare. I’m embarrassed by it. My parents worked very hard to allow me to succeed in life. I had many things handed to me. Unfortunately, due to my depression, and my very own immaturity, I squandered a lot of these opportunities. I only want to use these options until my business does better, and I can stand on my own two-feet. The preconceived notion of people using welfare to avoid getting honest work is a misconception. There are millions of people like me using benefits to help make something of themselves, to have control over their own destiny, and give back to the American society in both tax revenue and morals.
- I’m looking for a good TV show to watch. Any suggestions? My wife and I have kind of hit a dead zone of Netflix shows. We’ve watched all the good or popular shows. I’m hoping one of my awesome readers has a secret show they think is amazing. I’m dying over here. For once, I’m actually not too keen on re-watching shows anymore either. I need original material. It helps. For the longest time, I always thought I would watch the same shows over and over again. However, I’ve noticed my own artistic voice grows with the assimilation of new content. I’m a bit like the Borg. I will add your storytelling distinctiveness to my own.
- I’m about halfway through Pokemon Moon. Gamestop has this great deal where if you sell them your old video games, you can purchase new games with store credit. For someone who has absolutely no gaming budget, this is a remarkable opprotunity. Pokemon Moon is amazing. It has an evolved style of play, plus all the nostalgic throwbacks of the original games. The entire game also takes place in a super-detailed and lush environment of tropical islands with emerald shores of unchecked beauty. For a landlocked Minnesotan just starting the winter, this is a bit of torture, but also escape from the frost-warped windows on every wall.
- Little bit of advice for new dad’s out there. One thing I’ve been doing the past year with my twin, 18-month-old boys has been taking them on drives on a nearly daily basis so my wife can have somewhat of a reprieve from all the madness at home. When I do these drives, the babies usually fall asleep at the same time, and I can either take a nap, read, play my DS, or write. This has saved both my wife’s sanity, and my own. It is the simplest thing to do. This tactic was given to me by an old coworker. I know many people do this, but advice gets lost in the madness of having children. Stay close to home. Plan a route. Find a parking lot that is safe and might have security. Always park next to a light.
- I’m doing a holiday sale in my store. Three books for $25. This includes my original novel Beware the Ills, my most popular book The Greenland Diaries: Days 1 – 100, and my collection of new short stories I Sing Constellations. This is a great deal. Plus there is free shipping. If you’ve always wanted to check out my books, and never felt like there was a great opprotunity, now is the time. Click Here to be taken to by store for my holiday special.
Thank you everyone for your support. I hope you have an amazing week!